Remember, rememberThe fifth of NovemberThe gunpowder treason and plot.I know of no reasonWhy the gunpowder treasonShould ever be forgot.
- He served Indian Army as a bus driver. All his comrades were killed in war in 1965. It was a narrow escape for him from a bullet that was aimed at his head. Then, he understood the meaning of life & death. He considered himself dead from that point on and he decided to begin serving mankind in a most dedicated manner.
- He is never married. Though he has brothers, he stays alone in a small room attached to a Temple. He has Rs.1500.00 in his bank account. His only income is pension which is received from Indian army.
- He made a totally self reliant village: Ralegan Siddhi. He brought in education, removed social evil - untouchability, prohibited alcohol in the village and started a Grain Bank to provide food security for the farmers.
- His anti corruption movement started way back in 1991 against Government of Maharashtra.To know more about his activism, visit this page: Anna Hazare
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having. We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught. He can be killed and forgotten. But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.
- Lokpal at centre and Lokayukta at state level will be independent bodies. ACB and CBI will be merged into these bodies. They will have power to initiate investigations and prosecution against any officer or politician without needing anyone permission. Investigation should be completed within 1 year and trial to get over in next 1 year. Within two years, the corrupt should go to jail.
- Lokpal and Lokayukta will have complete powers to order dismissal of a corrupt officer. CVC and all departmental vigilance will be merged into Lokpal and state vigilance will be merged into Lokayukta.
- Lokpal & Lokayukta shall have powers to investigate and prosecute any judge without needing anyone permission.
- Lokpal & Lokayukta will have to enquire into and hear every complaint.
- All investigations in Lokpal & Lokayukta shall be transparent.After completion of investigation, all case records shall be open to public. Complaint against any staff of Lokpal & Lokayukta shall be enquired and punishment announced within two months.
- Politicians will have absolutely no say in selections of Chairperson and members of Lokpal & Lokayukta. Selections will take place through a transparent and public participatory process.
- Lokpal & Lokayukta will get public grievances resolved in time bound manner, impose a penalty of Rs 250 per day of delay to be deducted from the salary of guilty officer and award that amount as compensation to the aggrieved citizen.
- Loss caused to the government due to corruption will be recoveredfrom all accused.
- Enhanced punishment - The punishment would be minimum 5 years and maximum of life imprisonment.
- Visit http://www.indiaagainstcorruption.org to download documents of Lokpal Bill.